OAPCS President and CEO RaShaun Holliman is holding a series of regional meetings in October across Ohio to meet with the charter school community.
OAPCS Quality Workshop Series
The Ohio Alliance for Public Charter Schools has a central focus to provide comprehensive, timely and accessible professional development workshops and summits to support teachers, administrators and other key stakeholders in Ohio’s charter school movement. These workshops are scheduled throughout the school year and highlight relevant topics featuring leaders and presenters who are experts in their fields.
The 2015-2016 School Year Workshops and Summits Scheduled Are:
Charter School Law Summit (October 3, 2016 at the Quest Conference Center, Polaris, Columbus, Ohio )
With the passage of House Bill 2 and new administrative and oversight requirements, charter school stakeholders require a complete understanding of ever-changing federal and state laws. Students, staff, parents and board members are continually affected by revised policies and regulations governing community schools. Being proactive about complying with these requirements is the best strategy a charter school can have to avoid litigation. Help your school be more successful by attending this one-day legal workshop in which presenters with charter school legal experience address topics ranging from operational issues to collective bargaining. Continuing Legal Education hours will be offered for the summit.
Session Presenters Include:
- Adam Schira (Dickinson Wright PLLC)
- Arthur L. “Tim” Clements (Nicola, Gudbranson & Cooper, LLC)
- Amy Goodson (Amy Goodson Co., LLC)
- Maria Markakis (Day Ketterer Ltd.)
- Albin Bauer (Day Ketterer Ltd.)
- Robert McBride (Day Ketterer Ltd.)
- Thomas Holmes (Day Ketterer Ltd.)
- Terence M. Donnelly (Dickinson Wright PLLC)
- Stephanie Green (Dickinson Wright PLLC)
- Chris Woolard (Ohio Department of Education)
Legal Topics Presented:
- Top Legislative Issues for Charter Schools
Crisis Communications: Tell Your Side of the Story
- Labor Law Developments in Community Schools
- Overview of Recent Federal Guidance: What You May Not Have Heard
- A Practical Guide to Student Discipline
- Sunshine Law
- Constitutional Rights: How Wide Does the Schoolhouse Gate Swing
- The “Nuts and Bolts” of Administrative Rulemaking
- Recognizing and Disciplining Discriminatory Employee Harassment
- The Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) Update
Help celebrate ten years of OAPCS presenting the state’s largest charter school conference next December at the Hyatt Regency Hotel and Columbus Convention Center. The 2016 meeting will salute the past decade of professional development and usher in a new decade of learning, networking and charter school growth. Join us for dynamic speakers, presentations and sessions that will address all aspects of academics, operations and governance. Click here for more details.
Highlights of Past Workshops:
The OAPCS 2016 New State Report Card and Assessment Workshop
More than 100 education professionals, teachers, school directors, administrators and staff attended the OAPCS 2016 New State Report Card and Assessment Workshop on September 28 at the Quest Conference Center in Columbus.
Charter School Leadership Series Event: Creating a Culture for Student Learning and Highly-Effective Teachers (June 10, 2016)
National education reform leader and author Kevin Chavous and veteran educator and leader Jim Mahoney of Battelle for Kids called for educators and policy makers to create a learning culture that transcends partisan politics and focuses on students at the OAPCS Leadership Series Event this month.
Special Education Summit: Strategies for Success (February 25, 2016)
More than 150 special education professionals, teachers, school directors, administrators and staff attended the OAPCS 2016 Special Education Summit: Strategies for Success on February 25 at the OCLC Conference Center in Dublin, Ohio.